Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jiggy Jog down Memory Lane!


On this Tremendous Tuesday…I have one question “Is it Spring yet?!”... Enough of this cold…last few days cold and damp...I am ready to move on!

But glad you stopped by the Front Porch for a few minutes.  This is a 28 day journey in looking at a group of ‘ize’ words…a suffix which means to cause; to be.  So, as indicated, the word we want to discuss today is: memorialize.  It simply means to remember.  When you memorialize something, you honor it or do something so it will be remembered. If you want to remember a summer trip taken with friends, you could make a photo album full of the pictures you took to memorialize it.

Memorialize is not: idolalizing, hero worshipping, setting a person up on a pedestal.  No, the word we want to look at today….memorialize.  If we are not careful we can easily move from memorializing to idolizing.  Setting up memories is one thing…setting someone up on a pedestal and making them larger than life is another one.

What I have discovered as I take trips from time to time down this place I call Memory Lane….is that when I get there…most of the time it is a good visit; memorializing good things, happy events, pleasant visits.

  However, it can be like entering a house with multiple closets…and those closets all filled with grinning, scary skeletons…that want to grab me and pull back into that deep, dark closet along with them.  If I am not careful, that is where my trip can take me…

But not today!  I am going to memorialize…remember two special people from my childhood: my grandparents on my mother’s side, Paw-Paw and Mam-Maw Brandenburg…gonna have to stay from the Lawson side of the family for now...closet after closet full of skeletons…that I rather not deal with right now.

Memorialize is taking a trip down Memory Lane.  That is where we have pictures, cards, home movies, videos, photo albums, locks of hair, clothes, toys, etc. perhaps in a shadowbox or special chest.  I have for several years now maintained an old black shelf, actually the Preacher made it for the boys’ room way back when He was a pastor in Lothian, Maryland.  Long story short, we lived in a parsonage apartment and had to use a couple of the Sunday School rooms for bedrooms. Just a glimpse into the not always so glamorous life of a Preacher and his family.  Anyway, the room did not have a closet, not even a window.  Hmm… just laughed...just remembered the night of the bats involving this room and the boys…another day…another memory…

Anyway, once again, Preacher made this bookcase type of structure for the boys to keep clothes and other such stuff on. It served its purpose. But, me being the practical person, could not bear to part with this even when we moved on and so we have drug this particular piece of furniture with us all over the country.., I memorialized it to make it a place to memorialize my family…uhhh in other words it became a huge picture magnet.  It is where I have …a great number of my family photos…not inside it…but in frames and arranged just so…It is a source of wonder and awe for visitors to the house…I guess because it is not especially a pretty piece of décor…but it is me…it is my place to keep my fav pictures of my ‘wunderful, wunderful’ family.

Speaking of pictures; I have noticed that most of the pictures are older ones of the children and grandchildren.  It occurred to me that I rarely get pictures from the kids anymore…oh, say maybe school pictures.  That is one reason I joined Facebook…I asked for pictures of one of the birthday parties and I was told I would NOT be sent any…that the pictures would be posted on Facebook and that was that.  So, hence, I, got on Facebook.  AND I must admit I love seeing pictures of events right then or shortly after they happen!  Modern tech…gotta love it,

Got a couple more memories I will share.  Been thinking of my grandparents lately.  I was very blessed to have the opportunity to visit my Mam-Maw and Paw-Paw in southern Kentucky, a little area south of Williamsburg, about 12 miles from the Tennessee state line.  I had uncles or aunts on my mom’s side of the family that would visit us from time to time and stop at our house on their way to visit my grandparents.  Seemed to be the Kentucky thing;  move from down in the country and get a job in Northern, Kentucky or Ohio and at least once a month make the trip back to Williamsburg to visit ‘home’…I remember they would just stop by.  We had no telephone and usually  just show up.  During several summers I, being the oldest, I would get to ride down to the country with them and usually stay a couple of weeks until they made another trip back to the country.  This started when I was probably about 6 or 7 years old.  When I first starting going for the summer visits, my 2 aunts and uncle, who was about 8-9 years older than me still lived with Paw-Paw and Mam-Maw.  The aunts were teenagers, into dating, and clothes and boys.  My uncle would was still young enough to play.  We would run and explore the hills, the old barns and corn crib on the property.  We would get old lard lids and his favorite game was to pretend those lids were steering wheels to cars.  We would ‘drive’ up and down the hills. High tech, folks! 

No TV, no running water of course, no inside plumbing, no air conditioning, but some of the best memories of my childhood.  Paw-Paw at his time was a ‘share cropper’-had been most of his life.  They lived in a house that originally had a one room log cabin and later had a couple of rooms built on it.  They rented it for a few dollars a month and Paw-Paw would work in the ‘bottoms’ down by the river and raise acres of corn. .  Remember me mentioning my love of horses?   Well, one summer day he and the owner of the property came the by house  with two huge mules.  Huge…strong… and used to plow the fields.  I remember begging to ride the mules.  Of course my grandpa said no..they were not his mules and they were not ‘riding mules’.  I do recall crying…and my grandmother trying to console me.   I remember being heartbroken.

My Paw-Paw was a small, wiry, and skinny to the point, bony man.  But he was strong.  He was always kind, had a glass eye because he lost one in his logging days, so he looked kinda funny out of one eye; he chewed tobacco and loved being outdoors.  In his later days he no longer plowed the fields with mules, but maintained a summer garden.  That was the food of choice everyday in the summer, or maybe no choice; fresh corn, fresh green beans, fresh tomatoes…

In the afternoons and early evening he loved sitting on the side porch which ran the length of the house, chair tilted back to rest on the house and chew his tobacco, spit, and talk.  Repeat, and do again.

There was no running water…the closest drinking water was down over the hill, cross a little dirt road, down another hill almost to the river or creek that ran to the river…not sure…. and the coolest, as in temperature,  place on earth…was a spring…a natural spring where he would take his bucket, dip it in and pull out the best tasting water on earth.  I can taste that first drink from that bucket of water 53 years later…as if it were today.  Me and my Paw-Paw would walk back up the hill.  He would stop and point out a bird, imitate it….he was the first one to show me how to do a bird call like the whip-o will.  The area where the spring was located could be kind of scary….weeds all grown up, covered with trees and all those summer sounds of birds, insects, and who knows what else.  It was always very shady and shadowy.  But I was never afraid with my Paw-Paw near.  I think being around him those summers fostered my love of being in the country…no, I know it was.  It also fostered my love of being outdoors, watching the wildlife, and learning about the wildlife.

The other vivid memory I have of my Pap-Paw was after supper, in the cool of the evening we would sit and wait for the deer to come out.  Behind the house were hills, covered in green lush grass and at the crest was a line of trees.  And without fail, every evening, it would be like clockwork, the deer would come out.  Herds of deer, the buck, does and babies.  They were far enough away from the house that they were never frightened by my shouts of excitement of seeing them or my counting them, naming them, watching them.  Me and Paw-Paw would be content to sit and watch the deer as they grazed and slowly move on back into that line of trees. Gone until the next evening. 

Paw-Paw was one of a kind.  Brandenburg…German through and through.  Fought in WW1…never learned to drive, never owned a home, raised 8 children, was a logger, share cropper, and a kind, gentle man.  He got up one May morning, walked across the floor and dropped dead.  He was 76…lived a full life and was gone-quick.  I hope my passing is like his…quick, easy...no long suffering, no hospital stays…here one minute…gone the next.

My Mam-Maw…hmmm...an interesting woman.  She could be a ‘drama queen’.  Everything was said with ..De Laud”….when she was telling the latest news…aka gossip about someone in the family or community.  Her eyes would dart back and forth and she would get animated.  She loved her gossip!  But what she loved more was making her biscuits.  I remember when I first started visiting them and can barely remember that-but she had old fashioned wood burning cook stove.  They are back in style now…but she had the real deal.  Paw-Paw would get up first and build a fire in the cook stove.  A little while later she would get up and almost always smiling and sometimes singing and start immediately getting the dough ready for her homemade biscuits.  She would gather the flour, shortening, salt and whatever else she used  and before you would know it, out of the over would come the BEST homemade biscuits ever.  I remember she always served apple butter with those biscuits…don’t remember much  else was served except for the coffee.  Seems Paw-Paw started the coffee; an old fashioned pot much like we use for camping now.  Perk…perk..perk..coffee was served with the meal..in cups and under those cups saucers…not your fine china…just mugs and saucers…and the folk in the family that did drink coffee would pour coffee into the saucer and drink the coffee out the saucer!  Must have been a Brandenburg thing…I had never seen anyone do before or since then…

My grandparents were good to me and to their children and grandchildren.  They could not have had much money…just the  Social Security checks they got monthly…But my Paw-Paw would take off walking …it was several miles to the nearest little country store and carry back groceries to feed his visitors.  He would also bring back a 6 pack of Nehi Orange pop…soda pop.  How he managed for carry all that, at his age, I will never know. 

Things were different at their house…I loved going there and visiting them.  I could share more, good stories about these two people who meant so much to me in my childhood. 

 Mam-Maw was feisty in her own right! She somehow saved up enough money and bought an old car.  My uncle was suppose to teach her how to drive. Not sure what happened…but she never did get her license.  BUT that did not stop her from driving.  My grandparents lived so far in the country that there were no mailboxes or mail delivery.  The mail was held and then picked up at a little country story/Post office…something like on the Waltons.  She would take me and my aunt, who was the only one of their children still living at home, at this time, to that Post Office and get the mail.  She was a pretty good driver. No fear!

So, memorialize…remember…cherish…hold near and dear…family and friends…their kindness and generosity can be a comfort in hard times…

But, realize ….Memory Lane…we can only go so far…then, we have to turn around and come back.  We have a life to live, right here in the present and do what we must do…we have to get on with the business of living…

Words of wisdom: memorialize; make good memories, cherish them..as Joshua, in the Bible..after they cross the Jordan River… set up stones, a memorial…so your children and children’s  children ask “what does this mean? Who are these people”…you can memorialize.. your past…your heritage.

Until tomorrow…gotta get moving…making some memories for the students who are visiting the library this week…stop again soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment