Monday, January 14, 2013

DRAMA..the world is our stage....


Welcome to the Front Porch…more cold weather….but it is Winter what can I say?  Thanking the Lord for the recent rains.  Our pond is almost full again…5 happy ducks swimming in a row…so thank you Lord for the rain.

Let’s just get to the point this morning….

Today the word I would like to discuss is dramatize.  This word means: to put into a form suitable for acting on a stage.  Also, to express or represent vividly, emotionally and with exaggeration. Dramatize

Someone may come to mind when you hear this word: dramatize.  Could be ‘a Drama Queen or Drama King’…..referring to someone who reacts to an event or situation with ‘vivid, exaggeration  emotions’…bring attention to themselves…thus drama.  If we admit it, most of us at sometime like to be the center of attention…Dramatize

Drama surrounds us, fills our lives, entertains us, informs us…helps us step into other worlds; it helps us to learn how others think, feel, how they overcome.   This can be done through movies, plays, parades, readers’ theaters, puppet shows, dance. Dramatize…

 In an educational setting, we encourage young children to ‘dramatize’ by acting out what they have learned, how they are feeling, maybe something that happened to them or something they want to be in the future.  We have centers such as kitchen, farm, community, career, etc. for children to put on hats, clothing and pretend they are someone else, somewhere else dramatizing.  Some people are so good at this it becomes a career.

 Today’s visit will be a little different.  Going to take a trip down ‘Memory Lane’; that pleasant place, sometimes…sometimes not so pleasant.  You can only go so far down Memory Lane.  Then you come upon a gulf that separates the past from the present.  There are no bridges, no stepping stones, no walking on the water to get there.  A few stolen moments here and there, reminiscing about the ‘good ‘ole’ days that may or may not have been so good…

So sit a spell and let’s talk about dramatizing and me. This should be a nice little break from the discussions, a little lighter…a little insight into who I am and why.  If it is TMI…just exit and maybe you can drop by another day.  Ready??  Let’s begin!

Dramatize….remember your first play, part in a parade or perhaps in a home movie, a little video clip?  I remember my first part in a play…3rd grade…I even had a speaking part!  Hmmm…don’t laugh…but I was a witch…yep a witch.  It was a pretty big part…Somehow my mom came up with a costume, a witch’s long black skirt, black shirt and a long cone hat.  I was a witch. I cannot imagine for the life of me why I was chosen.   I was not pretty, I did nothing to stand out, I was not a social butterfly….at all.  I was shy…had one maybe two friends…never very close to anyone…..perhaps more on that another time. I more or less stayed in my little world and let others stay in theirs.

Anyway…my big moment came.  I was shaking and quaking…but with all that was within me I said my little line, something about a witch’s brew or stew or something, took a long handle thing and stirred that stuff and then had to do the witch’s laugh……hehehehhehe and stirring my  brewing pot… looking out to the audience.  Dramatize….I loved it! (not the being a witch…but the acting J)

Thus, I began to dramatize: I pretended to take dance classes: I was a ballerina. Where I got this idea I do not recall.  Must have overheard someone talking about it and decided in my pretend world I too could dance and be a ballerina. I pretended I was someone else; lived somewhere else; belonged to someone else.  I wanted to be anyone but who I was; I wanted to live anywhere but in the 4 room shack with ‘a path’; I wanted to belong to anyone than the abusive alcoholic.  I wanted a functional family vs disfunctional.

 Dramatizing, for me,  was a way to escape, to deal with the confusion and get through the uncertainty, the shame, the embarrassment, the lack in my life.  It was a way to step out of my world into another place and time.  Dramatize…

I love horses…cannot explain this love, this fascination.  No one in my immediate family had horses.  My first encounter with horses was through a neighbor.   Let me give you a little background here: my parents were from the ‘hills’ of Kentucky…married, moved to Cincinnati.  Even though my father only had a fourth grade education, somehow he got a job at General Electric.  I was born in Cincinnati...a few years later they moved back to Kentucky, just over the Ohio River to a little area, Alexandria.  We were in the country: 4 rooms and a path…no inside plumbing and a coal stove for heat. I lived there until I got married.

Across the road and up a hill lived a neighbor who had about 10 horses and ponies; a variety of colors and sizes.  I would sit in front of our little shack and look at those horses for hours. Most days they would be grazing on the hill and I could see them…some days they would be in another pasture and I could not see them. I longed to see those horses.   I loved them. I dreamed I could ride them, walk them, brush them, love them. 

I continued to dramatize as I got older.  I no longer pretended to be a dancer or a princess or someone else’s girl:  I pretended I was a horse.  I would run, jump, whiney, neigh and folic like a horse.  When I wasn’t pretending I was a horse, I was reading about them, drawing them and singing about them.  Horses, Horses, Horses.   I remember riding the school bus home one afternoon and seeing some beautiful horses.  I began singing a little tune I made up about horses...how much I loved them and how I would take care of mine forever and ever.   I must have gotten carried away for some kids around me began making fun of me.

I would walk around the little yard singing about horses.  Dramatize…

I noticed that one of my grandsons, Kaden, Tim’s son, is a singer and crossing over  into a little drama…when they were visiting over Thanksgiving we set aside time to walk around the farm, down into the pasture, explore the pond and visit with the animals.  Kaden would go off by himself and I could hear him singing, making up little songs…finally he would say “I need some private time”.  That meant me and Karson, his little brother, were to continue on with our little walk…Kaden would continue to sing, walk around and dramatize.  He would continue to sing and go into his little world...might be the chicken coop, up on one of the hall rolls.  He began singing and dancing….dramatize..funny…Kaden is a talented, gifted little guy…if I must say so myself.  He already writes his own songs and has recorded some of his songs with the help of his Dad, Tim, my youngest son.  Interesting…his drama is not to escape like mine…but it is evident he does like to explore his talents, try out his songs and even dramatize them, I think we will be hearing more from this young man in the future!

Dramatize…Dramatic Play… as we in the education field call it…it is a learning tool for children…it makes a story come alive and creates memories.  It can spark an interest in the arts and start a young child on the path to pursue a career in dramatizing books, stories, events.

I guess if there would be any words of wisdom today…and you work with children, have children, or grandchildren…encourage them to dramatize.

So as we close out today…no words of wit or wisdom about dramatizing.  still dramatizing…perhaps that is why this word jumped out at me.  Since I am a librarian for a Pre-school, I make it a point to dramatize books; to get the children to come along with me and join me in another time and place.  It is no longer a way to escape and pretend I am someone else because I am unhappy.  Instead, it is to open up doors for children so they can explore characters, settings, events, another time.

This week we will be dramatizing the book The Three Kings, by Karen Kingsbury.  It is a book about a princess who must decide between 3 knights. One is only interested in her money, another wants the fame, while the third really loves her and vows to love and cherish her.  We dress up as knights, princesses and march through the library to the ‘castle’ celebrating the Kingdom of Reading.  One of my favorite lessons I share with the children.

It is going to be a busy week… I can already hear the giggles, the ooooohs, ahhhhhs, as the girls select their little dresses, put on the jewelry, tiaras; the little guys slip on their knight’s armor and carry the pretend swords on our journey to the castle….dramatize

Speaking of dramatize, where does the time go…need to get up and get moving on to school and finish setting up the Kingdom of Reading…so stop by again tomorrow…let’s memorialize…

No comments:

Post a Comment