Monday, January 19, 2009

OPERATION... FIND TIM'S LIBRARY BOOKS!

Good Morning...looks like another beautiful day here in Texas.

I'm suppose to be at school but decided to take a day off and work around the farm. The weather is going to be so nice...I'll get to spend some time outside.


Got up my usual time though...5:00 ish ..just can't seem to sleep in...did a few days during Christmas break when everyone was here and the rare occasions when the grandkids...even Jace slept in a few days...around 6:30-7:00...my problem is then when I do have to go back to my school routine..5:00 hurts.


Anyway, feel I need to get up early and spend some time with the Lord...reading, praying, my 'first meal' of the day-that spiritual gal just whimps out and gets into too much trouble if time is not spent at the Lord's table.

Caught up on some paperwork and blogs...then I'm outside to enjoy God's goodness.


Blogging is new to me...Lori got me into this...didn't think I'd have much of anything to say. Kinda grows on you though. I feel somewhat like, You've Got Mail, one of my favorite movies. Is anybody out there reading this stuff? Anyway, I usually get a little inspiration and then just start writing. I look back on some of the writing and think ...way too much writing-but then I think of it as 'therapy' for the soul.

Anyway today...the library. I got his inspiration from Lori and her post about the library. The Preacher has always been an avid reader. I ebb and flow. I have had times in my life when I read non-stop (that's the problem I get started and want to read it all and move on). Other times I may read at a book for a few days or weeks. Through the years I have had to do so much reading for my degrees that I just didn't have extra reading time or desire to read. One of new resolutions is to read more and so far so good!

Anyway, because the library is a great family event and as Lori pointed out...free resources...the Preacher and I made it a PRIORITY to take the kiddos to the library. Through the years and due to the different churches we have pastored we have moved more than most families. Moves have a lot of adjustments, those necessities of getting settled in new communities. ONE of the FIRST things we did was to take everyone who could breathe...think that included all 4 kiddos ...to the library and get their own library card. Lori was right, on a regular basis we went to the library. Falmouth was one of our better experiences... we had very little money but we checked out movies, books and it was just a neat little place for such a small community.

On to Maryland and we kept up the tradition. I don't know how many library cards were lost through the years and fines we had to pay...but it was worth it. When it was time to go to the library the announcement would be made and all four kiddos would start the 'book hunt'. Julie and Lori were pretty good about keeping their books together. Tim and Joe ...another matter. At the time they had a basement room, small, cramped and full of stuff. We also had a large dog thrown in the mix, Tim's dog AG (Auggie Junior) named after a nickname (Auggie) that Julie had given Tim. That's another blog...Julie and her nicknames for everyone. By the way she has kept up the tradition with her own 2...Kaylin is currently Lynnie....anyway for today...I'm sure there will be a new nickname for Kay tomorrow!


Most of the time most of the books would be found. Seems there were always some hidden under beds, under clothes under who knows where. Hence, overdue fines. I used to resent it fiercely...then decided not to sweat the small stuff...when I look at all the use we had of items I figured it was such a small price to pay.

The Preacher, however, detested any late charges or fines on HIS card. Someone would get to the library and not have their card....aka usually Timbo, Auggie, Lukie, whatever his current nickname was. The Preacher would allow the offender to check books out on HIS card with the promise he would keep up with them. Of course the unthinkable happened. There was an usually crabby librarian (reminds me of myself most days ):....who had to make a grand announcement in her loudest, most stern voice, Preacher (..ah, I think she said Mr. Gabbard) you cannot check books out today until you pay your fine. The Preacher, with those big eyes of disbelief, replied, " No way, Mam, I am clear, turned all my books in." She puffed up like an insulted hen and then spewed out the list, ....Scooby Do Goes Undercover, Scooby Do and the Lost Shoe, Scooby Do Returns... You get the picture.


We all turned and looked at the real culprit...TIM... Tim's response to questions about these books...as in most things he felt were trivial was a, big shrug, with those big blue eyes sparkling and with his most charming smile, replied,"I don't know.

This didn't set too well with the Preacher, the librarian or any of us. We considered this one of the 'high crimes upon the seas' if a library book was not treated with the greatest of respect. We went home and the whole family went into OPERATION FIND TIM'S LIBRARY BOOKS. I think we even inducted AJ into the hunt. We did find them and all was well...until next time.

Of all my children, Tim, for the most part was the most laid back, easy going, unruffled..well, there were a few times he did 'ruffle' up. I think I'll reserve one of those stories for tomorrow. So if you want to hear a chapter from Tim's life...stop by the front porch.....tomorrow.


So,from my front porch to yours, God bless.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad to say that your son still has his unruffled demeanor. He lead worship yesterday while he was extremely sick, and it renewed my faith in him as the leader of our music ministry. I am proud to call him a friend, and I am even prouder to be able to serve in his ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!! Just think, I think you've raised an entire family of library nerds and we are passing it on to our kids. That little library in Falmouth, KY was an awesome place and it was amazing that the 4 of us kids behaved, never fought, or got in trouble while we were there - sometimes alone while waiting for you guys to pick us up. I think the librarians always liked us and those old Pink Panther movies on VHS were too cool.

    My girls love going to the library and we are anxiously awaiting the building of our new library which will be almost 4 times bigger, plus it will be about 2 minutes from our house. How genious is the public library?? Free books, materials, CDs, DVDs, and resources. Kaylin's current favorite is Skippyjon Jones and we found different books with read along CDs. The author is reading the book aloud and she is fabulous. We have to listen through at least 2 or 3 times in one sitting.

    Anyway, be very proud of this heritage and what you've passed along. I don't read as much as I want to, but just walking in to the library (or Half Price Books the next best thing) gives me a happy, peaceful feeling.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom,

    Your library post is so funny! It is coming back to me now- Dad not wanting anyone to use his card. Because whenever we did, he would usually get a fine! What Julie said is true, I never remember getting corrected or talked to at the library for any bad behavior. By the way, thanks for always taking us to get our a library card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all my stories, I think I still have a few books by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tell people all the time about getting dropped off at the library. It gives them a good laugh, and additional reasons to make fun of me. It's funny how Tim out reads us all now... Maybe he hide the books on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys and gals are too much! You all were perfect angels...had bright,shining halos....well most of the time. I think you guys would have stood on your heads to keep from riding that bus for over an hour!

    I forgot about the pink Panther videos..they were hilarious! I am proud of each of you and how great avid readers you have become....and now your little ones also loving the library....hmmmmm wonder if that's why I became a librarian when I 'grew up"!

    ReplyDelete