Sunday, January 4, 2009

SEEKING THINGS

Good Morning from my front porch to yours! It is Sunday, the Lord's Day, first day of the week. Hopefully, in your own way you will take time to worship HIM. Take time to talk and walk with Him. In doing so you will truly find Joy.

My last post ended with 'things'. After posting it I pondered and thought of 'things' off and on yesterday. What did I really mean by 'things'? In my ponderings I was reminded of the 'things' that can be added to us as we put God first in our lives.

If you follow my daughter's post, you know the 'thing' that God has added to her family! We are still marveling at just what God can and will do for us as we seek HIM first. This has been a difficult year for my daughter and her family. Church closing, 2 times fleeing hurricanes, and then my son-in-law's job loss. This family had sacrificed time, money and resources in keeping the church going and finally a release to close it. During that time, as with all churches, people come and go. I believe they were very instrumental in impacting one family's lives-if not more. In other words, 'seeking' God first and 'things' will be added to us. This recent blessing has certainly been an example of that. Were they 'seeking' a brand new minivan? No, but in their daily walk and faithfulness God has rewarded them.

I have four children. As I continued to ponder the 'things' I was reminded how each of them has 'sought' God and how blessed each of them are in their own right! I remember the son who had an interview at a church to be the music minister. He had been faithfully working at a local church for 5 years in the youth and music ministry, was recently married and working 40 plus hours at a retail store. He was seeking God, following Him one step at a time. We were thrilled he had this opportunity to interview at this church, but at the time he needed a suit or at least a suit coat. I recall at the time we didn't have extra money, so we went budget shopping-thrift store. We found a nice coat. Needless to say this son was 'blessed' and was offered the position and the rest is history. The 'things' was a ministy he thrives in and now he has more suits than he can wear! He is blessed!

Another son is also in the ministry. I was reminded of how he was on a career path to become a big, powerful businessman when God gently opened up another path (or I guess showed him the Path for his life). He put all those dreams and goals aside and went to Bible school. This was a walk of faith for him and us. He sought the Lord and was willing to hang in and finish school no matter what the cost. We sent money as we could-there again this lesson about 'things' was as much for him as us. Long story short, there were times the car was down and he had to ride a bike to and from school and work. There were times of eating cereal three times a day. Eating leftover fast food burgers, etc. Seeking God first. The 'things' he has been blessed with now are a ministry that is growing and we are excited as to how God is leading. He has a promise of 'things' being supplied for this ministry. He has the resources and blessing of eating at some of the finest resturants in Kansas City-no more eating cereal three times a day-unless he wants to. He has a beautiful, spirit filled wife and 2 wonderful sons. He is blessed. I could go on about the 'things'.

My oldest daughter has always been a strong child, then lady of God. I remember when she went through a very rough time in her life. Her father and I could offer very little financial support at the time. We prayed. She had a small child to take care of, a great amount of financial pressure, sickness and a great hurt in her heart. But she sought God, she held on to God and was determined no matter what the cost she would hold on to His unchanging hand. I believe her stedfastness and faithfulness at that time opened the windows of Heaven for her and in a short time everything she had 'lost' was returned to her many times over. She is blessed with 'things' such as a united family that worships God together, serving in a ministry that she is thriving in, two wonderful daughters and 'things' galore.

So the 'things' that our God can supply are not things to showcase and put on display. But they are riches in relationships, gifts and callings, blessings and assurance that God is providing 'daily bread'.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog and love the stories! Keep them coming! I still have that suit jacket and everytime I see it I think about what you did for me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Things" are what make life special. Thank you for being a blessing to so many. Your son has blessed me so much with his friendship, and I count myself luck to know him. You also make a mean pan of lasagna!
    I look forward to reading more, and would appreciate it if you could throw in some "colorful" stories of Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog! You have 4 amazing children! It's so easy to take for granted the ones that are close to us, but it's clear to see you haven't and how blessed you are! Oh, yeah and I won't forget your amazing husband as well!!

    ReplyDelete