Monday, April 20, 2009

NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FARM!




Good afternoon (at least here on the porch)!

I’ve added some new members to the Gabbard Farm. But before I get there, a little history. Joe was 14 I think, we lived in Maryland and he wanted a dog for Christmas. He wanted a pug. but we talked him into a little brown puppy. We went to the SPCA and told them what we were looking for, and a few weeks later they called and had about 5 little brown puppies-a lapsa/poodle (can't spell) mix. They were cute. Joe picked out one and named him Randall Cunningham (after a well known football player) and it was shortened to Randy. Joe lost interest pretty quickly so did the other kiddos so Randy more or less became my dog??? He grew and never did get too big…and over all a pretty good dog. He moved all over the country with us and ended up here on the farm. He was about 17 years old, failing, feeble and blind, deaf, crippled…a sad little thing…but the vet said to keep him comfortable-he might last another year or so…as he was not in pain. I remember Randy loved to go on walks and his favorite ‘job’ was to walk behind Glen when he mowed or walk the pasture with me. We had to quit that because he would get so confused as to where he was I would have to carry him back to the house. He died one evening last fall. In some ways it was sad-but overall a relief because he was starting to really stumble and fall. He, like the preacher LOVED HIS CHICKEN!

Anyway, I kinda wanted another dog and then I didn’t. So I just began praying for the ‘just right dog’. Nothing worse than a bad dog…I had temporary custody of two very bad, chicken killing and chicken eating, jump in your face and chew your shoes, dig up your flowers, dogs. I tried to reform them and gave up after about the 10th ‘free’ chicken dinner. One was a stray from school and one was a Cubbage ..cute puppy…to a huge dog that was suppose to help reform my wild thing. Didn’t happen…the wild thing corrupted Jack and gave him tutoring in how to chase, torment, kill and eat chickens. Anyway, back to a dog.

Anyway, I’d look in the paper, I’d look on Craig’s List, I’d look at the feed store posting, I’d look at the SPCA web page posting. I’d drop by the Pet Smart adopt a dog day. Nothing seemed right. I have always liked Shelties and thought that sure would be a nice little dog BUT lots of money. Puppies too high maintenance and older dogs can come with too much baggage. I thought it sure would be nice to have a farm dog to walk the pasture with me and just keep watch over things.

Last week at school I got one of those all school e-mails about two dogs that needed a home. I read the e-mail and thought…this is interesting….just the kind of dogs I wanted.. I e-mailed back and told the friend of the friend that was helping find a home for the dogs, a little about myself and the farm and to call me. She did. I went to her place and met the dogs and it was a ‘match’.

So kids and grandkids, meet the new additions to the family. Winston and Riley. They are a little ‘shy’skiddish BUT overall so far seem to love being on the farm and walking around and discovering and meeting all the other critters.

FYI I also have 6 ducks I am raising. They are sure ugly…..but at the time it’s all the feed store had. I like having ducks because they keep the algae out of the pond and eat bugs from the pasture. I enjoy hearing them quack and love seeing them swim in the pond. They are still too small for that and are still in the barn. Hopefully soon they can get down to the business of being ducks. I had 4 ducks last year-but they disappeared in one night…never seen or heard of again.

Anyway, a friend’s friend has a couple of baby goats that need a home…..here we go again…I need to reorganize Grannies Barnyard….really could use a ‘bailout’ to get my little business up and running properly….just kidding!!!


Anyway, stop again soon…I have many more stories and pictures to share with you!

3 comments:

  1. Winstin and Riley are beautiful I showed Kaden the pictures and he is excited to meet them in a few weeks.

    From Kaden: Hello Grannie Happy Birthday. I like having lunch and dinner with you.I love you.Kaden loves you.Karson loves you.I miss you.I will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so cute I want to see them:)

    ReplyDelete