Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MORE VALENTINE MEMORIES

GOOD MORNING from the front porch!

Home today…taking ‘my way day’…gonna catch up on some errands and other little projects I enjoy doing. It’s a light week at school (I get one of these once a month) due to the ART schedule…so here I am… .



Got TO spend some time with Julie and her girls yesterday afternoon. It was nice…no agenda just time to kick back and visit and talk. Girls got to see Mary’s ‘little lamb’..she is growing ..... Martha still awaiting her little one….Thanks Julie and girls for a nice little visit.


Back to VAL DAY MEMORIES….a few days late. I wanted to take a walk..’down memory lane’ FOR JUST A FEW MINUTES.

I was in 2nd grade when I first recall Val Day. I remember a pink covered shoe box…decorated with homemade hearts and an old fashioned clothes pen made into a valentine angel. I do recall the excitement of the party but then feeling sick…sick …sick…so sick somehow I recall Mom coming to school to get me. I remember walking down the sidewalk with my little pink box tucked under my arm….no party ....no candy, no cupcakes sad…sad…sad.


Fast forward and I was 15….me and the Preacher were dating…Val Day was approaching and I had no dollars to show my “love and devotion’. I remember one of my 9th grade art classes and using rice…yes you read right…rice to make a collage. So me in my desperation…my imagination…my making do attitude, I took a piece of 5 x 7 piece of cardboard and a little bag of rice and glue and began making a little ‘card’ DL (me back then) X GG (the Preacher). I remember using tweezers or similar high tech instrument and very methodically putting rice kernel after kernel on this little collage. I do recall somehow drawing a heart an using nail polish or something to draw out the heart….I don’t know what he thought of this little labor of love …but it was made with love and devotion….if I recall correctly for this Val Day his present was to go to Arby’s (this was a brand new restaurant back then) and it was delicious. I remember saving a napkin and other little souvenirs from the date. I recall a pretty mushy card. It was one of the ‘memorable’ dates.

Other Val Days came and went..And a few others stand out.. I recall when we were making a move from Virginia back to Kentucky to pastor a short time and for Val Day we bought each child their own personal Bible. Wonder if they remember??

Then moving from Kentucky to pastor in Maryland… a few years later…I recall Val Day was on Wednesday (church night) so we ‘celebrated at a really nice restaurant –Rod and Reel. Some great seafood. Tim doesn not like seafood particually...sorry Tim... We took all 4 kiddos…we had the restaurant to ourselves…It was so ..nice ...nice meal, nice service, wonderful company…..


So, 2009 Val Day over and out…..hope you made some memories with your little ones and big ones too.life goes on doesn't it….marching into March and the birthdays, 3 Garza guys and a Garza anniversary!!! A lot of writing material there… so...stay tuned to my birthday tribute to each of these guys..a story or two so stop by and visit again soon.....


On the front porch……

No comments:

Post a Comment